The success of your dental implants needs your help.
Did you know you can help bring success to your new smile with dental implants? After your procedure, the foods you eat, the dental products you use, and the level of care you provide to your smile will all contribute to your oral health and the success of your new restorations. See how Dr. Martin recommends that you properly care for your dental implants in this post-op guide.
Tips for an Efficient Post-Op Recovery
Within the first couple of days following your dental implant procedure, it’s best to be delicate with your teeth and gums, and follow these recommended tips to care for your smile:
- Don’t eat hard or sticky foods. Try to stick to a soft food diet right after your surgery. Hard or sticky foods can easily infect the surgical site and damage your implant.
- Don’t use a straw or try to spit. Using a straw, or spitting excessively, can apply pressure on your implant site that prevents it from completely healing.
- Regularly rinse with salt water. Remember to rinse your mouth with salt water two to three times a day, preferably after you eat, to help reduce inflammation.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. You can prevent your surgical site from fully healing if you smoke or drink, and both of these habits can reduce proper blood flow.
Long-term Dental Implant Care
After at least the first week of recovery, you can follow these simple guidelines to ensure the long-term success of your dental implants. By doing so, you’ll be able to shine your smile for up to a lifetime and maintain good overall health.
A Good Oral Hygiene Regimen
Healthy gums play a vital role in the success of dental implants. If you neglect to care for your gum tissue that supports your implants, you can increase your risk for infection and decrease your overall chances of success for a lasting restoration.
When the tissue around your implant gets infected, it can lead to a condition that causes bone loss– peri-implantitis— which causes the implant post to loosen and eventually fail.
To avoid peri-implantitis, clear away any bacteria and food particles in your mouth by thoroughly brushing and flossing. This will ensure your gums, teeth, and implant remain healthy for years to come.
Remember to brush twice a day for two minutes, floss once a day, and rinse with mouthwash to help maintain substantial oral health.
Choose the Best Products
The best part about living with dental implants is that cleaning and taking care of them is just as easy as you would with your natural teeth. However, it’s important to note that there are certain dental products that improve oral care and help maintain their natural look.
Dr. Martin wants you to consider these suggestions when picking our your dental products:
- Toothbrush: Use a soft-bristled brush that won’t irritate your gums or scratch the restoration.
- Toothpaste: Avoid using toothpaste with harsh or abrasive ingredients.
- Floss: Find floss that’s made for dental implants or one that’s nylon coated
- Mouthwash: Don’t buy mouthwash that contains alcohol because it can dry out your mouth and interfere with healing.
Visit Us for Your Regular Check-Ups
Don’t forget to visit Southpark’s ART Dentistry at least twice a year to ensure exceptional oral health. At each check-up, Dr. Martin will examine your entire mouth to see if there are any new complications and to confirm your implant is still secure and healthy.
If you’ve completed your dental implant treatment and have further questions about your post-op care or if you notice any issues with your new restoration, don’t hesitate to give us a call right away. We can easily repair any problems before they worsen and help you enjoy your new, confident smile.
Meet our SouthPark Dental Implant Provider!
Discover Your Dental Implant Options
If you are considering restoring your smile but are unsure of which treatment option is right for you, visit Dr. Martin and his team for a full evaluation and treatment consultation. We’ll work with you to find a dental implant solution that fits your lifestyle and needs. Contact our SouthPark dentist today for a complimentary consultation!